"The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land."
-Abraham Lincoln

Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving!

We're gearing up for Thanksgiving in my little corner of the planet.   I just finished baking the last of the pies.  We're having Dutch Apple pie, Traditional Apple Pie, Sweet Potatoe Pie, and 2 pumpkin pies.   Needless to say it took all day to bake them.  We also went to Grandpa's this morning to assist in the ugly deed of dispatching a nice plump Tom turkey.  

The menu plan for tomorrow includes turkey (of course), stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes with the little marshmellows (yummy), cranberry jelly, cornbread, sweet rolls, green bean casserole, a vegetable platter, homemade bread which I finished baking yesterday, mustard greens, the pies, coffee, Apple Cider (spiced for the adults, non spiced for the kiddies).

Thanksgiving is a pretty much a giant feeding frenzy at our house which culminates in the women sitting for several hours at the dining room table talking, playing gin rummy and drinking coffee or cider while the men plop in front of the television to watch football and discuss politics before almost half of them drop off to sleep.  The children will likely be playing some board game like clue or junior monopoly and the younger set will be in their rooms playing with their various toys. If you looked into our window on Thanksgiving you'd swear you were looking at a Rockwell Saturday Evening Post cover.  Ultra Traditional.  

Unfortunately for me this ultra traditional feast of sorts leaves an ultra large mess.  So this year, I'm thankful for my wonderful family and friends, especially my husband, my best friend, her husband and my Aunt who have all offered to help me clean up.   They are the bees knees (I'm rocking the retro throw back catchphrases).

I sincerely hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  


0 comments: